Re: [MV] 42 Chev 1.5T

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 13:29:49 PST

Let me state up front: THE ORIGINAL ENGINES IN GM WW2 TRUCKS WILL NOT
TAKE OVER REVING, PERIOD!!!!

That said, you could use rubber gears, M211/M135 chucks. Rebuild your diffs
with the high speed
civy diff gears (I forgot the ratio) You use the gears only as the side
gears are different between the civy and mil versions. You can use a newer
Chevy engine (up thru 1962 easily). If you can find a Chevy 261, you will
have a Great truck! I have only found 3 in my 30+ years looking (I own 2 of
them).

You cannot: Put in a CCKW 5 speed. The CCKW power train is 1.5 inches lower
in the frame. You would NOT be able to operate the gas pedal. You cannot do
much with the stock engine.

For locking hubs just take a drive flange to a machine shop and have a dummy
(spline-less) one made out of Alu. Make sure it clears the end of the axle
which is almost to the outer end of the cap.

Remember you have to stop too... The Huck brakes on these trucks are very
sensitive to adjustment and wear as far as braking balance is concerned.
Going faster will make skiding more likely. In addition, the brakes are not
all that big as far as losing braking ability from heating up is
concerned...

Hope this helps
Steve