Re: [MV] M37 Oil in the breather pipe???

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 04:53:50 PST

Brent and listers,

I had this problem on an M37 a few years ago. The problem is caused by a
non-working PCV valve. In my case, someone had disassembled the plumbing either
side of the PVC valve and reassembled it with the PCV installed backward. It took
me a while to find the problem. I too had oil in the carburetor air intake elbow
and in the distributor (via the vent lines). I would clean everything, run the
truck, and in a very few minutes the engine would die. Oil on the distributor
points again! The crankcase would pressurize, blowing oil and oil vapor up the
filler tube, then through the breather vent tube to the carb air intake elbow.
>From there the oil entered the vent tubes to the distributor, coat the points, and
the engine would die. I also had a lot of gasoline mix into the oil during the
many starting attempts. Be sure to "sniff" the oil dip stick and if you smell
gasoline, change the oil before you run the engine at any speed much above an
idle. Experience here too! Spun bearings = major overhaul.

Claude.