Army unveils new low cost fighting vehicle

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 20:59:45 PST

Can't afford to buy a tank? Maybe your budget won't allow for an APC?
Humvee's out of the question? Can't really go a deuce or even a jeep.... not
to worry! Your U.S. Army is here and they have the solution.

Announcing the new and soon to be coming to a surplus store near you....

The "Dragoon" Light Bicycle Infantry (LBI).

Awhile back we talked about the new and changing US Army. Our thread...
"Tanks for nothing" as the MBTs are phased out over time and we all debated
what's next. Never fear, spokes are here! That's right, a bicycle... an
all terrain, fighting bicycle, capable of being air dropped right with the
troops who will ride them to glory.

Note: The staff officers version is basically the same as the enlisted
soldiers versions except for training wheels and map case.

What does this mean for us in the MVPA? Well, when it comes to surplus
sales, you won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy one. And the
restoration costs, heck we're probably talkin under $50 bucks! No license
fees, no oil changes and no fuel costs either! How can you beat it?

As excerpted from the Army announcement: "The way to create a fully mobile
U.S. Airborne Force is by creating LTC Richard Liebert's "Dragoon" units:
heavily armed mounted Soldiers who use All-Terrain Vehicles. . . .like
folding bikes and carts. "Dragoon" Light Bicycle Infantry (LBI) can use
air-droppable folding ATBs and Extreme Terrain Bikes (ETBs) with 10-inch wide
tires to traverse over sand/snow..."

I know what you're thinking, "Yeah it's pretty neat, but I would get tired
peddeling to an MVPA event." No problem! Just tie a tow line behind your
buddies engine powered mil-veh. That terribly slow 45 mph convoy speed will
feel like lightspeed on your fighting bike!

For more information on this and much, much more ... and it's actually a
pretty great site, despite my tongue in cheek comments on the fighting bike.
(I know I am going to catch it from all the bike people now) please go to:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5265/

P.S. I am going to suggest the Pentagon attach playing cards with clothes
pins to the frame so the spokes make noise. This will psych the enemy into
fleeing as our new "Hell on Wheels" bike units descend on them.