Re: [MV] Navy MB

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 00:01:49 PST

US NAVY JEEPS photos -- not my forte but here are leads on a few photos:

JEEP ISO Pictorial Series 2 John Havers ISO Publications 137, Westminster
Road, London England SE7 7HR 1987 ISBN 0 946784 20 5 Photo # 39 shows
lots of USN jeeps surplus in UK AUG 1945 destined for the Pacific.
Excellent photo as it shows a variety of markings. e.g. U.S.NAVY SHORE
PATROL and on another jeep ???? US NAVY ???? (???? = I cannot decipher
other markings) on windshield panel, and U. S. NAVY on side curve of hood
(bonnet to our UK friends). Markings in white on dark coloured jeeps. Photo
is a very interesting study of the weak jeep bumpers as there are two long
rows of jeeps, nose to nose. Photo # 5 shows a US jeep in Northern Ireland
with unusual marking of "136" on side and centre of the windshield panel -
possibly off a ship of the same number? As an interesting comparison, a
Royal Navy jeep is shown in photo 89. It looks grey.

Admiral Nimitz' jeep is shown on page 13 photo 4 in Petersen's FOUR-WHEEL
DRIVE No. 2 book/magazine 1976 ISBN It was presented to him by the US Army
and although it was painted US navy gray (grey to Canadian and UK friends)
it retained its US Army number - in black apparently - U.S.A. over 2054843.
Highway tread tires on combat rims. US Navy photo. 0-8227-5003-1 Library of
Congress 76-46851

Steve Greenberg in Oregon would be an excellent person to talk to as he
restored an original USN MB "US NAVY 022785 M.T.B. RON (?) 33" MB sn
MB196380 16 Dec 1942 date of delivery. Black markings on dark grey jeep.
Colour photo of restored jeep on page 236 of Vol. Two, ALL AMERICAN WONDER
by Ray Cowdery.

In one of my reference books is a copy of a wartime magazine ad showing a
jeep strapped to the deck of a submarine - under water. Apparently the crew
removed the wheels and hauled this thing around. If yours is really rusty,
maybe it is that one? :-)

Does anyone have info on Royal Canadian Navy jeep colours and markings? I
have NO info on WWII markings/colours and only a tiny bit of post-WWII info,
but not much. I am looking for photos, stories, orders and instructions on
markings and lists of numbers, and any surviving specimens. Have found an
M38CDN ex-HMCS CAYUGA (Scott Lorette collection in BC) and a later jeep in
HMCS NADEN museum's colleciton in Victoria, BC.

Colin Macgregor Stevens (ex-HMCS Chippewa and HMCS Gatineau)
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB