5 ton question

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:30:59 PST

Why is it that the 5 ton trucks (excluding the 900 series trucks and the
FMTV's) do not have an airshift front axle? It seems as though they never
changed from the sprag clutch. I realize the older M35's had sprag clutches,
as well. I believe that they switched to the air shift sometime in the mid-
to late 1960's. I could never figure out why the 5 tons did not have an air
shift front axle. As usual, any information would be appreciated.

Bruce