Re: [MV] 5 ton question

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 05:56:22 PST

Bruce,

Look under a 5 ton. You will see that the transfer is an air shift. It runs from the shift lever on the transmission to the transfer. It shifts the sprag for forward and reverse. The 2 ½ ton had a physical rod that went from the transmission to the transfer. On the 5 ton, make sure you have smaller tires in the front, and the sprag unit has plently of oil in it. I have taken the 5 ton transfers apart and overhauled them. That is no easy task, but thankfully we have all kinds of big tools and equipment to work on stuff like that. Most of the time the sychro is broken or damaged due to people trying to shift from low to high on the fly.

But, hey it's a army truck. It will go straight up a hill.

John
MVPA #2697

43 GPW
43 CCKW (several)
M3A1 Scout Car
43 MBT
40 VC5 (2)
41 WC21
44 WC51
52 M62 (2)
53 M127
?? M105A1 (3)
?? M135
?? M35
67 M35A2 (2)
69 M52A2
?? M52A1

>>> <RKubu@aol.com> 2/16/00 2:30:59 PM >>>
Why is it that the 5 ton trucks (excluding the 900 series trucks and the
FMTV's) do not have an airshift front axle? It seems as though they never
changed from the sprag clutch. I realize the older M35's had sprag clutches,
as well. I believe that they switched to the air shift sometime in the mid-
to late 1960's. I could never figure out why the 5 tons did not have an air
shift front axle. As usual, any information would be appreciated.

Bruce

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>
Send administrative queries to <mil-veh-request@uller.skylee.com>