Re: [MV] M-35 A-2 C

From: Todd Logan (bugdaddy66@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 07:01:08 PST

Howdy list;
I agree that people who have never driven something this size should get
some instruction on driving these things. I find most new drivers drive way
to fast, and don't allow enough stopping distance. Part of this is due to
the sense of speed that is so different way up there than in a small car.
When I teach a new driver, I have the luxury of lots of forest service roads
to take them on, so they have to deal with limited sight distance, sharp
corners and narrow roads. Also most new drivers are not used to using
mirrors, and need practice before backing. I have them read the operators
manual so they get a sense of how different this truck is than their car.
Currently teaching a 23 year old girl to drive, you all pray for me! Maybe
other owners can help newbies learn by offering part of a day of driving
around and showing how everything works before they buy one. Good excuse to
use your truck if nothing else (no dear, I'm not playing, it's an
educational trip). Hope that offers some food for thought.

Todd Logan
68 M35A2
71 W200 Air Force Crewcab
pictures at http://people.montana.com/~pln5537/page2.html