C D L

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 15:22:39 PST

I have fought this battle with state of Tenn and won -- CDL -- stands for
Commercial Driver License -- My contention was that I was not driving for
pay -- not hauling for pay -- therefore not commercial -- regardless of
weight. Classed as a Recreational Vehicle -- DOT agreed but did say that
might get questioned if ever stopped a DOT check. At the time of
conversation was discussing operation of vehicle that GVWR exceeds 210,000
pounds
Book says anything over 26,000 is commercial vehicle. But does not include
these "bus type campers - motor homes" The are covered as Recreational
Vehicle. Could not get this in writing but was before district meeting of
DOT and scale operators. I agree that safety is main concern, but for
instance my M123 will not pass for me to take CDL test in, and It is perfect
condition but, as built, brakes do not lock when vehicle looses air. And if
you were intending to operate it for the test they would not let you drive
it for that is first thing they check. Have been there for CDL test, not
mine thank goodness. They went over truck with fine tooth comb before they
even let test start.