Re: [MV] 12 Volt trailer AND 24 Volt deuce

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 21:11:02 PST

David,

I've thought about this for a while since I've got a pintle ring trailer that
works fine behind my 5 ton and it too is wired for 12 volts with electric brakes.

The only practical thing I can see to do is to add a converter to get 12 volts
from the 24 volt battery power on your MV and then wire in a standard 12 volt
brake controller. For the brake lights, stop light, and running lights, I'm
thinking about using 4 relays with 24 volt DC coils to switch the 12 volts for the
trailer. I'm thinking about attaching a box with the relays near the pintle
hitch and wiring it into the standard MV wiring. I can't think of a more elegant
solution. A person could use a number of rectifiers wired in series to get a
total voltage drop of 12 volts for each circuit, but it seems to me that since 12
volts has to be obtained for the trailer brake controller, why not just use the
same source. 24 VDC relays are pretty cheap - 10-$ 15 each.

If anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.

Dave