New Jersey Police

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 21:31:13 PST

I spent most of my Army career in N.J. (Ft. Monmouth). If New Jersey ever
broke off and fell into the ocean, they certainly wouln't get a sympathy
card from me! It's not the good people of NJ that I would ever knock, It
was/is the idiot police force from the State Police on down to the home
towners. No matter where you are, they set up on just about every street
corner looking for suspicious or cars with expired inspection stickers. For
many years I go up there visiting friends and almost always they pull me
over (State Police and locals too) NOT for ANY violation but looking for
untaxed cigarettes (my TN tags) or can't understand why Tennessee has only
one plate. One NJ MORON local told me that my registration was only an
application for a registration! (Of course it wasn't!) They never look in
the rear, just the front of my truck. I purchased a vehicle up there one
year and got a temporary tag. As I pulled out of the dealers' driveway,
there was some road construction going on and BEFORE I could leave the curb,
the cop held his hand up for me to stop and said I didn't have tags. I told
him in an unkind manner that if he could possibly walk to the rear of my car
he might see them. After he looked at it for about two minutes, he said I
could go! I told him, "thank you you royal highness". I really feel sorry
for you folks up there in New Jersey as it is a REAL "police state". I've
never seen such tactics used and OUT OF CONTROL RAMBOS that down here would
put THEM in jail for civil rights violations. Down here when I got pulled
over in my Hummer, it was for my front headlight being burned out. After
telling him that I would fix it promptly (I did), he just wanted to look at
it and tell me stories about when he was in Desert Storm and how he drove
Hummers! I love the great state of Tennessee where the weather is great and
NO RAMBO cops are looking for reasons to harass you for no reason. Us
hillbillies don't take cotton to that kind of crap and the police are always
polite. And I have been stopped a few times where I was in violation and
they never asked me for my license or otherwise and just told me to be
careful! Just wanted to get this off my mind! PS, I don't think we'd ever
get pulled over for a windshield being folded down and I'm not aware of any
law here that says otherwise or if anyone would even care. Julian Burke