Re: [MV] M715 fuel additive question.

From: Buzz Szarek (buzz@toast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 17:32:52 PST

Fred,

There are several things to consider before you start dumping stuff into your
truck's fuel tank.

1. How often are you going to be driving this truck?
  -If it's less than a daily driver you should also be concerned with water
accumulation and fuel stability. Gas gets old. If you run the truck, only
occasionally I'd add a stabilizer and if you wanted to some kind of valve
protectant or lead substitute (real lead additives are no longer sold, tnx EPA)
then you should consider using similar brands to avoid any chance of
incompatibility.
  - If you drive the truck regularly (daily or weekly as a min.) then this is less
of a problem and we can move on to question two.
2. How far in the future are you (for whatever reason) going to take the heads
off the motor?
  - Before I start a war by stating that lead additives don't make a difference
let me tell you my experience running old motors. I used to drive a 1965 Harley
Davidson. About 10,000 miles a year (I know it's not much but I lived in the
north east). I rebuilt the motor one winter cuz I over-reved it and blew the
lower end (yep, I was being stupid). Anyway, I replaced the valves with stainless
steel valves, bronze guides and replaced the valve seats with hardened units
thereby converting the bike to unleaded fuel. No problem. Second example was my
1954 M215. I drove that truck, daily back and forth to work for 2 years before I
drove it from Boston to San Antoino. I never put a drop of anything but gas in
the tank and never had any kind of trouble because of it.

  Ok, that being said. I'm not sure how much benefit is actually gained by adding
lead substitutes to the gas tank. First off, it's not real lead, it's a
substitute. Secondly I think that when you look at the cost, time and effort
you'll spend in the next couple of years carefully measuring syrup to dump into
the gas tank (and panicking when you don't have any) you'll find that it adds up
to the cost of having the valves, guides and seats replaced with the unleaded
style. Third, even if you show the truck and are going for a 100 pointer, nobody
is gonna check the valves, guides and seats.

Bottom line. Don't sweat it. Drive it. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank
every once in a while (it's witch craft, I know but it makes me feel better). And
in 2 years do a head job on it and replace the offending parts.

Oh, yes. If the truck is pinging it's got little to do with the lead. Back off
the timing and it'll stop. The soup they pass of as gas these days would make
anybody sick.

IMHO, YMMV, ETC. ETC.

Best of luck,
-=-

--
-=-
     _______     W.J. Buzz Szarek WM1W
   || \ | / |    1970 AM General (Jeep) M35A2
   |---------    VIN 04G40371053911482
  (|O|||||||O|_  Hood 04G40371
 |0| |||||||o|0| MVPA 15048
 ----\(((((/---- buzzNOSPAM@toast.net
 --------------- (Remove NOSPAM to reply)
 |_|         |_| The Cobra Consulting Group