Painting and primer question

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 06:33:31 PST

Hello,

I have been busily stripping small bits and pieces of my GPW from engine
heads to top bow swivel brackets (found some more nice "F" marks). Following
the advise of this list and others, I obtained "quality automotive primer"
that can be relatively generic. I am using (for small stuff) spray cans of
gray LAQUER based primer as the base coats. This is the stiff you can get
at the local auto parts store in spray cans for about $2-3 per can. I am
using the Gillespie 319 as color coat.

My question is, I think the Gillespie is ENAMEL paint. Will this cause me
any headaches later with problems caused by painting enamel over lacquer?
Chipping or peeling? Bad sealing against the elements? Does it make sense to
use a "Rustoleum" type of primer?

As it is now, I have been treating all of my cleaned and painted parts like
they are little babies or something and they look absolutely beautiful. Not
to my wife though. She just doesn't get it.

Thanks for any input you all can give me,

Bob K.