Re: [MV] WW1 English biplane for sale; RCAF mil vehs

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 22:49:00 PST

Is it a replica?

I suspect it is replica, slightly scaled down to avopid legal copyright
problems. There is one flying out of a museum in Langley, BC.

That is a good price whether replica and certainly should interest someone.

My mother's uncle flew SE5a aircraft in WWI and was wounded in the foot
while straffing German trenches in 1918. The bullet passed through wood and
canvas pushing bits of each ahead of it. When I spoke with him in later
years, he tapped his foot with his cane and explained that the bullet was
still in there! He became an Air Vice Marshall and commanded the RCAF
overseas in 1940 (while it was still small), and later commanded the RCAF in
Newfoundland, then in British Columbia.

Ah, the military vehicle connection? In his photo album were two photos of
an RCAF Willys MB jeep out of the air station at Comox BC (where I am going
tomorrow taking a bus load of our air cadets) and the photos showed the
markings. Brian Wood of Vancouver donated a Willys MB from his collection
(he had bought it out of Texas I believe) and the Comox Air Force Museum has
restored it using my photos as a guide.

This museum also has an M38A1CDN (1953) which served at CFB Gagetown in New
Brunswick, then ended up in BC with 15 Fd Regt Royal Canadian Artillery
Museum and then to Comox. They also got an M43 (CDN?) ambulance that had
served at Comox until it was retired. It too is now restored.

Aircraft in their growing collection include MiG-21 (ex-Czech and they found
a man living in BC who had flown this a/c in the Czech airforce!); Dakota
(in D-Day markings), CF-104, CF-100 'Canuck', CF-101 Voodoo (2); Vampire jet
fighter; Argus; Tracker; helicopters etc. Through the Internet, I found them
an ex-South Africa Spitfire which they are now restoring.

Cheers!

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB