Re: [MV] M38CDN holes in body

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 23:00:58 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: rejan@escape.ca <rejan@escape.ca>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: Saturday, February 26, 2000 1:00 PM
Subject: [MV] M38CDN holes in body

>Just got told that my father's M38CDN may have been a radio truck, as it
has
>holes on top of the rear fender well.
>
>What type of radio was used on these Jeeps?
***** Up until 1960 it was the Wireless Set No. 19 Mk. III usually. They are
available in Canada and tend to sell for a bout $100 for a main box only, to
$300-400 for a 'complete' one. Try asking ham radio operators - easy to spot
in Canada as their vehicles have licences starting VE7... Many of them
bought surplus 19 sets in the 1960s.
After 1960 jeeps started to be equipped with the C42 (British Larkspur ?)
radio. This is what I trained on in M38A1CDN2 jeeps.

>What should we look for with
>respect to holes in the body? This probably means we have to find all the
>radio equipment for it now, including the associated wiring and brackets.
>Where's the best place to look for this stuff?
>
>Also, does anybody have diagrams as to the location of any and all possible
>drilled holes on an M38CDN for any equipment in addition to a radio and
>related hardware?

***** Frank Von Rosenstiel in Ontario (Oshawa) has reprints for sale of the
installation instrcutions for the 19 set into the M38CDN I believe.
>While on the radio subject: can one actually use an older military radio?
>what is their range?
***** When I powered up the first 19 set I owned, the first station I
received was in german! It was Germany! Normally these are short range
sets - there are actually two sets, one for vehicles within sight of each
other to talk, and the other for talking over several miles.
>do you need a permit to operate one (in Canada). Any
>info on this would be appreciated.
***** In Canada you need a ham licence to operate one. Legally they can
seize the radio if they catch you transmitting illegally. Why? Because you
may interfere with airport or police or fire department radios etc. Again,
talk to ham radio operators near you.

Look at this website (Louis Meustee's) for the best overview of British &
Canadian military radios. http://home.wxs.nl/~meuls003/home.html

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB