RE: [MV] M54 5-ton brake adjustment

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 11:22:57 PST

Damon,

If memory serves me correctly, the parking brake on your truck is separate
from the rest of the brake system. Look under the cab, to the left of the
drivers seat, and you will likely see that the cable from the parking brake
handle runs toward the center of the vehicle. There is most likely a large
(12" to 14" diameter) brake drum attached to the drive shaft. Unlike a car,
the parking brake on this truck does not affect the brake shoes inside of
the wheels. You should be able to make the necessary adjustments at either
end of the cable.

Depending on the type of parking brake lever that you have, it could be even
easier. If you have the early style that has a ratchet arc near the floor of
the cab, and a small brake release lever incorporated into the parking brake
handle, then you should follow the advise above. If you have the newer
style, a single round lever with a rotating cap on the top, then you may be
able to adjust the parking brake from within the cab. You can rotate the top
of the lever to apply a limited amount of tension to the cable, and thus
adjust the parking brake. Keep in mind that this is a limited adjustment,
and that at some point you will probably have to loosen up the cap and
adjust the cable. There is a certain amount of wear that occurs every time
that you drive with the parking brake on, and eventually the adjustment
available through the cap on the lever is not enough to compensate.

By the way, you're not alone. I'd bet that almost everyone who has ever
driven a military vehicle has left the parking brake on, at some point in
time.

Good Luck,

John