Chassis undercoat ?

From: Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 00:32:21 PST

Hi list

I've stripped the front end off my Bedford OY - the last item remaining to
come off now is the cab - that will be coming off on Saturday. Then I'll be
stripping the chassis back to bare steel and repainting and rebuilding from
there.

I had intended to repaint as per my understanding of the original - ie - a 3
coats of Red Oxide - followed by 3 coats of green.

A friend of mine has suggested using a Rust Guard product first, and another
friend suggested getting the chassis galvanised.

I'd appreciate any recommedations on this - What does everyone else use. I'd
like to consider rust guard if it means I wont need to strip the vehicle
down again for a long time.... however I dont know if there are any side
effects from using this type of product on a vehicle. What about
galvanising - presumably this means the whole chassis needs to be completely
free of rust or rust deposits and immersed into something ?

Thanks

Tim