Re: [MV] Other forms of metal conditioning

From: Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 09:37:25 PST

Hi Bill,

A light glass bead blasting of the fasteners to remove all rust, followed by zinc
iridite plating, is a nice way to refinish your fasteners. As someone mentioned,
it's generally cheaper by the batch.

Note: If you have any hardened (grade 5 or higher) fasteners zinc plated, make SURE
that the plating shop bakes them immediately after plating for the required time and
at the required temperature. This is necessary to prevent serious weakening of the
parts due to hydrogen embrittlement.

Alan