Re: [MV] L-?

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:12:25 PST

Jan,
    There's a local place here that does aircraft restorations. I seem to
remember they specialize in WW2 vintage aircraft. They may have some project
aircraft or leads on aircraft. There's alot of cool WW2 stuff near here at
Eagle's Landing. It's a fly-in community. I bought my tractor from a guy there
who had 2 WW2 fighters and a WW2 trainer. When I went to pick up the tractor,
Chuck Yeager was staying with the guy. Chuck said hi as he headed off to a
nieghbor's house to steal some tomatoes.
    I did a search in yahoo and came up with a good list of possibles for the
aircraft restoration shop, (try griffin, ga and enter aircraft) but I'll ask my
wife about it when she gets home from work to see if she knows any more. I'll try
to do a drive by of the airport to see if I can spot their hanger. I know I've
seen articles in the local paper detailing some of their restorations.
    Also Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co is located outside of Griffin.
770.228.3901 They may have some leads on aircraft or at least aircraft dealers.
I know they sell all sorts of restoration parts & supplies and also kit aircraft
that are scaled down versions of WW2 fighters, but I doubt that's what you're
interested in.
    Another place you might like to look into is Military Marketplace.
www.militarymarketplace.com They sell original WW2 and postwar uniforms &
equipment. I know they have a good selection of original pilot equipment. I've
always been very happy with my purchases from them.
    Of course, I can't close this email without noting the RUMORED japanese Zero
in Atlanta. It's kinda like the "jeep in a crate" It goes kinda like this "Hey,
did you know there's a Zero in a warehouse off of peachtree street. (there are
about 30 peachtree streets here) Yeah the guy took it apart & is going to restore
it..." Closest thing I've seen to that is a mockup Japanese torpedo bomber at
Eagles Landing.
    Actually there used to be a cargo carrier based out of Griffin that flew at
least the civilian version of the C-47 (sorry I can't remember the DC#) They went
out of business when one of their larger aircraft crashed into the old Piggly
Wiggly. I don't know what became of the rest of their aircraft but they used to
have at least 5 or so.

Hope this helps, and at the least didn't bore you too much...
Brian Mead