RE: [MV] MV restoration: cautionary sandblasting factoids (Salt)

From: Jim (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:42:21 PST

Hi Bill,

There is a rust treatment/ primer called "ospho" that you paint on and let dry and it will kill active rust. It is oxyalic and phosphoric acid mixture
that is the end of rust. If your soak your parts in it, however, it will eat the parts up. In a thin coat it will convert rust to a non-active state. One side
benefit is that you can soak stainless steel items to remove broken taps and drill bits from them. It also will condition the surface of stainless and remove any elemental iron from items making them hold up to salt water much longer than normal. I build equipment for oceanographic research at FSU and we swear by the stuff. You can get it at any paint store or Ace Hardware, Lowes, or Home Depot.

best of luck,
Jim MVPA # 17216