Atlanta ZERO (was RE: L-?)

From: J. C. Sabel (jcsabel@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 17:31:17 PST

OK Brian, you wrote:

 "Of course, I can't close this email without noting the RUMORED japanese Zero
in Atlanta. It's kinda like the "jeep in a crate" It goes kinda like this
"Hey,
did you know there's a Zero in a warehouse off of peachtree street. (there are
about 30 peachtree streets here) Yeah the guy took it apart & is going to
restore
it..." Closest thing I've seen to that is a mockup Japanese torpedo bomber at
Eagles Landing."

Well, the plane is more than urban legend. I remember seeing it several
times in
past years. It was located in back of an Antiques / Art Shop on Peachtree
St. near
the old Crawford Long Hospital. Near a hot dog stand that may well be gone
by now.

Yes, it was a Zero. The story was that it was captured during one of the
campaigns
and sent stateside as a static display for a war bonds tour. When I saw
it, it was
still fairly complete with markings and the funky canopy, but the wings had
been removed
and were laid along side. Weather had really taken a toll on it,
especially the control
surfaces. As I recall the wheels were off and the struts were supported by
jacks.

Anybody know any nore about this?