Re: [MV] MV restoration: Acid based Derusting

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 21:35:56 PST

While we are on the subject of products such as Ospho, I would just like
to bring up the fact that, while Ospho works well for derusting steel
and transforming rust into iron phosphate (much more stable than iron
oxide), the same results can be obtained by simply purchasing commercial
grade phosphoric acid from local chemical supply houses and diluting it
till you like the results. I like the results obtained by diluting it
down to 25% acid.

This is MUCH CHEAPER than buying Ospho like products. Remember when
diluting - ALWAYS POUR ACID INTO WATER, NEVER POUR WATER INTO ACID!
Remember the chemists jingle: "DO WHAT YOU OUGHTA, POUR ACID INTO
WATTA!" Also, use gloves, rubber apron and protective goggles anytime
you mix and use acids and products like Ospho. Just because the product
is green does not make it user friendly! Keep a bucket of water handy to
flush eyes and skin when working with these chemicals. Flick a drop of
Ospho off a brush tip into your eye and you will never forget it!

Another cheap preparation is Muriatic Acid available in any hardware
store. Dilute it down and it will dissolve rust also. In high
concentrations it can attack the base steel also, so stir your parts and
get them out, rinsed and dry quickly if you are going to use high
concentrations of these acids!

Happy Stripping!
Mel Miller
M725