Re: [MV] Bumper numbers

From: Sean Bathrick (Bathrick@imcchemicals.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:24:33 PST

That is correct, more or less. There is a code type marking on older vehicles and I think is still done, although I am not sure. On my M416 trailer, aside from the reg numbers, there is a block diamond with 2121 in it. This was a Camp Legieune, NC asset, although I don't know what unit it was in. I saw a Gama Goat with much the same marking but 2112 in the diamond instead. This was done to all four sides. And I think the older vehicles had 3 digits and the newer ones used 4 digits inside the symbol. I assume that the various bases or bases within an area of operation, have their own symbols and the units are assigned a number to place inside their symbol. I have a gas can with a half cirlce steciled and the number inside, and my jeep has a full circle with 120 inside and an 8 just outside. I believe this was 1st Battalion 3rd Marines although decifering this is much like staring at a wall of heiroglyfics and trying to get something out of it, which I guess was the point. But Bill is absolutely correct about the bumpers, only the hood number on USMC vehicles.
Thanks
Sean
MVPA 14222
53 M38A1
51 M135
67 M416

>>> "William R. Benson" <Benson@eqe.com> 03/03/00 09:08AM >>>

USMC doesn't put numbers other than vehicle registration, which is on the hood
and tailgate. All now black decals.

Bill

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>