Re: [MV] Simple verses sophisticated

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:19:13 PST

Lee

> I guess you could label this a rant, but ever since I started wrenching on
-snip-
> The Humvee for instance seems incredibly complicated compared to the old

I suggest you get your hands on a copy of "Pentagon Wars", if you are
worried now, you will be even more so after reading that! I got mine
(hard cover) for US$3.95 plus postage through an internet book company
called "Book Closeouts", something like www.bookcloseouts.com - bargain
price.

> I've wrenched on two British and French military vehicles over the past few
> months and they don't seem to share this U.S. compulsion for stupidity in

Oh, boy, things must be really bad! If British products like Chieftain,
Centurion, Saracen and Ferret (you own one I think?) are now examples
of simplicity of design then the US has really lost the plot.
Ask Richard Notton about how many parts go to make up the gear change
controler on a Chieftain and just how excessively complicated it is.
Or what about changing the fan belts on a Ferret - 2 men x 2 hours to
get to the point where you are putting the new belts on, then you have to
reassemble the vehicle.
But looking at the 1998 car I own and how little
there is on it that can be repaired by the average person, you don't
have to look far to know that this trend is not the sole preserve of
miliitary designers.

You really do need to read "Pentagon Wars".

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG