Re: [MV] M37 Progress Report & Head Questions

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 17:56:56 PST

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:

> <snip>The cylinder head will need to be resurfaced,

Should I be worried about: 1) Valve-to-head-chamber clearance, 2) Length of head
bolts (too long after re-surfacing), and 3) Increased compression ratio (should I
cc the head and calculate it?). I plan to have the machine shop vat the head.

> <snip>Always use new headbolts if possible. The 230 bolts are cheap, at $1 to
> $2
> each, a small percentage of a very expensive engine rebuild.

Yeah, but there are a lot of them! :-) This I must do, luckily the two special
bolts that have a bolt threaded into them are OK.Should I find hardened washers
for underneath the head bolts, and has anyone found if headbolts from a common
engine will work, like say from a Ford 302 or Chevy 350?

> <snip>One thing that is often overlooked is to renew the "spot face", or the
> little circular seat
> on top of the cylinder head that each bolt head tightens on. It's often
> galled, and prevents proper torquing. There is a spot facing tool for use in a
> drill press that does a nice clean job.

Yes, a few are really galled. Should the machine shop do this, or can I find this
bit and do it myself?

> <<Also, is there any way to prevent this corrosion, or were the previous
> owners
> negligent about antifreeze and flushing/replacing coolant regularly?
>
> <snip>There are a few things you can do, but yes, your guess is
> right..maintenance
> must have been poor. You can obtain a brass rifle chamber cleaning brush,
> and vigorously clean each tapped hole, with a power drill if necessary.

I used a thread cleaning bit.

> <snip> Now, the BIG ONE: As you can see, the 230 head is high and dry
> above the engine's cooling system. If you lose an ounce of coolant, there
> will be dry bubbles in the head water jacket somewhere. These of course will
> run much hotter. Take care over the life of the engine to keep the coolant
> level up to the top, and you'll have very little corrrosion and heat-related
> trouble.

I wonder about using that new red coolant that Chevy uses; straight coolant, no
water to cause steam pockets. There is no way to put an overflow bottle on, is
there?

> <snip>I'm not sure why so few folks understand this about the 230. Study
> the engine and you'll see! One last thing: You MUST use the proper bypass
> thermostat in the 230. There are a dozen variants that will fit and operate,
> but only ONE which handles bypass flow correctly in the military engine.

Wow. I didn't know this.Lots of good info, Thanks!
Lisa