Re: [MV] AMG response Military Humvee

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 10:40:41 PST

Okay, here is something to think about. The reason this peon responded this
way is that the company will take any tack which keeps it's hold on the
market firm. If you start dumping military HMMWV's on the civilian market,
you hurt their income- and that's what drives them, income, stockholders,
the works, nothing else. Now the next thing they can do is take a
politically correct stand and publicly oppose the "illegal" "immoral" and
"un-American" use of military vehicles by civilians. They don't have to
justify their statement, they don't have to qualify it. They just have to
show a video of that tank in CA (which I saw on the TV two weeks ago), and
the average citizen will stand up and applaud their sterling corporate
concern for public safety. They have somewhat logical reason to do so. The
military HMMWV was not designed in accordance with safety standards as
published by DOT. Therefore, to reduce their corporate liability, they
lobby the government to remove those un-safe, non-DOT approved military
HMMWV's from the civilian market, or at least refuse to share the liability
for sales by DOD, which it has no control over.

Those words "civilians or other entities," and "outside of the context" are
loaded with poison pen. They will do whatever they have in their corporate
arsenal to keep a captive audience (civilian and military), and won't think
twice about publicly bashing private civilian ownership of military vehicles
to keep their fixed market for the HMMWV.

I'd say this is the most ominous thing I have heard here on the list, and
I'm not joking.