M37 windshield frame

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 21:01:49 PST

I removed the windshield from my 1952 M37 (3/4 ton Dodge
cargo truck) to disassemble and restore. The frame has some
how gotten water in it and frozen (swelled up bottom of frame).
I think I can repair that, but to remove windows I had to remove
probably 12 small bolts in the top of the frame. These were holding
the hinge for the window. Half of these broke.
There are threads that are tapped into a piece of strap located inside
the frame, held tight with pop rivets, that these bolt screw into. One
of these straps is loose and held by one of the two rivits. This seems
a little hard to describe, I hope you can follow it.

Is there a way to remove and replace these straps. Only way I can see
is to cut a hole in the end of frame and weld it back in when done. I have
a pop riveter that puts in threaded rivets, I think this is what I will end
up doing.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Mike in Iowa