FLAME ME! Whimpering response to my accuser...

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 05:22:06 PST

Okay, I've been flamed.

If you want me to be more civil while I express my disenchantment with this
policy, that's your problem. When corporate culture takes a turn toward
making public policy which aims at protecting their market, but also
intrudes upon my 'merican right to cheap army surplus, I am a little piqued.
While it may be applauded as good protection from liability by you, it seems
more wasteful to me when a vehicle is manufactured, utilized in a limited
fashion, then destroyed in the name of shielding a corporation from
liability. Why not offer to re-acquire the vehicles from the military and
bring them to DOT standard? Ohh, not creative enough- they've already sold
the tooling to a Pacific Rim country to exploit the cheap labor.

As for the hurt feelings of the peon, tough. First, I've been a peon and
know one when I see one. Second, he picked the high paced, glamorous,
heroic profession of public information. I really feel bad for him and all
the harrying he gets from us close minded individuals who want toys which
were really intended to be used by those peon soldiers to whom his company
sold them (Gee, Bob, why can't they go out and buy a nice used one for
$25,000?).

As for wanting one, no thanks. They were fun to drive around when I had the
chance, but I prefer my M151A1. What I want is a better solution to use of
American Labor than build it, lay 'em off, scrap it, then re-design
something much more expensive, mostly made in China. I think we can make
better use of our resources. I think we owe it to the long-term
preservation of at least a CORE of our defense industry.

In the French Army, during Napoleon's time, a Buff leather belt was supposed
to have a service life of 57 years. Now if technology hasn't advanced to
the point where a vehicle platform can't be designed to be improved upon and
used by military and civilian consumers for longer than the ten year service
life of the Hummer, there is something wrong. What's wrong with designing a
vehicle which can have useful service life after the military?

Ominous- you bet. I don't like being even mildly equated to the ultra right
wing militias as I feel I was by that PEON's statement. He probably didn't
even give me or my hobby a thought when he made that statement, or was
ordered to make that statement. And that is why it is ominous, because our
hobby is invisible and extremely vulnerable to a shift of corporate culture
which "officially" condemns the private ownership of former military
equipment. Our corporations are the "entities" who pay huge contributions
to our election candidates, who are the ones to propose or support the laws,
which are the things responsible for either efficiently utilizing our
national resources or wasting them in short sighted bungling. (oops, my
liberal colors showed through)

Liability exposure? Big problem. I don't think lawsuit caps are the right
response, nor do I think that corporate payouts are the answer. I don't
know the solution. But it is definitely not to accuse some one of
WHIMPERING when they bring up a point of order in the Industry vs. Society
struggle. I don't like the exile of corporations from the US because of the
liability issue and defense issue, but I don't think the problem is going to
be managed creatively by the "entities" which manage it now

THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY...

But that is another issue entirely.