M37 Weekend Update

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 18:03:18 PST

Hi All,
Spent the weekend working on the M37. The engine is cast
T245A-20958 and there is a rebuild tag on the right side of
the engine that states that it was overhauled at the Pueblo
Army Depot 1-71 and that the bore is std and the mains and
rods are -0.010". There are stamps on the deck of the
engine: B C C C C D and a 11 with a circle around it. This
block probably hasn't been machined.
There is a hole in #6 combustion chamber that is plugged.
Does anyone know what it is for?
A local machine shop is going to machine a true edge on a
piece of 1/4" x 1-1/2" x 36" piece of steel stock so I can
use it to check for low spots on the block surface. They
will spot face the head for $12. If the head and block check
out, re-assembly will begin! The front engine mount needs
replacing, and we need 2 oil lines and all new head bolts.
Bolts for a chevy 350 are about 3 threads too long. Trying
to decide if I should buy them and use a hard head bolt
washer, shorten the bolts, or buy the right ones for more
than double the cost.
Discovered that either my bench vice or my muscles are too
small to remove u-joints from M37 driveshafts. Looks like I
need a press now.
I tried uno dollar oven cleaner as paint remover. Not
impressed. It did work to decarbon the combustion chambers
in the head though. You know, a propane torch goes a long
way towards softening caked on greasy mud so you can scrape
it off.
Hopefully, we can fire it up by next Sunday. Can't drive it
until we get those rubber thingys that go on the transfer
case mounts.
Love working on these Mil Vehs. Just don't like the money I
have to spend sometimes...
Later,
Lisa