151 Jeep

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 19:34:34 PST

I received the following message via the internet. It is from a UN staffer
that has just purchased an M151A2 from the Sudanese Army and wants to know
for sure what year it is. M151's are not my specialty. Can anyone help him?

     I could get these numbers from the inscriptions on the plate on the
     engine:

     Serial # 5074427
     Ord Part# 11660530
     Contract # DAAE07 83.C. H445

     This is a rather rare 151 Jeep. Are these numbers from the engine or
the dashboard? Hercules made this run for AMG if it is from the engine. As
far as I know, none of these exist in this country as they ALL were shipped
out of the US. These were the last A2's that AMG manufactured primarily for
the Pakistani army. In 1984, I think around 1200 of these were the last to
come out of the AMG factory before that part of the factory was shut down
permanently. These were made in the old Studebaker plant in South Bend,
Indiana which is now a storage warehouse. This facility is adjacent to the
Hummer training course which is about 400 acres of Indiana wilderness which
formerly was the test track for the 151 A2 jeeps. Contract date is
obviously 1983 and were delivered in 1984 so the numbers check out as does
the locale (corroborates). It should be titled as a 1984. Boy, I sure
would like to examine it! I have somewhere a factory picture of these being
manufactured (towards end of line) and if I can find it, will post it here.
Perhaps tomorrow I can use this contract number to my contacts at AMG for
positive verification. Is this jeep coming to the US? Hope this helps,
Julian Burke