Re: [MV] M37 Weekend Update

From: Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:35:43 PST

quigstro wrote:

> An old-timer mechanic that my brother has been "bugging" about my WC12 says
> that you set the engine's timing by inserting a ruler(?) in the hole on top
> of #6 cyl. I am not sure of the exact procedure. Brian Quinby

One can obtain an "approximate" TDC reading by inserting a rod down through the
hole in #6 and rotating the engine while watching for the highest point that the
rod reaches. As I recall, the #6 piston reaches TDC at the same time as #1,
although it is on the compression stroke when #1 is on the exhaust stroke, and
vice-versa.

However, it's nearly impossible to get an accurate enough reading this way to do
something exotic, like degreeing a cam, but I suppose that it will get you close
enough for establishing TDC for ignition timing purposes. You can get more
accurate results by attaching the rod to a dial indicator and by marking the
pulley at two different dial readings of an equal (and relatively large) angular
distance before and after TDC, then splitting the difference. This negates the
fact that as you get closer to TDC, the angular change in crank rotation increases
relative to the piston's rise rate, thus reducing accuracy as it approaches TDC.

I suppose (though I have NOT heard this from an official source) that a hose could
be connected to the orifice on #6 for emergency inflation of tires in the field.
Naturally, it would fill the tube with lots of carbon monoxide, etc., but if you
really needed a quick fill when bullets are whizzing by, who is going to complain?
Again, this latter application is just speculation on my part.

Alan