Jeeps in Belgium

From: Lars-Uwe Rudek (Rudek@shh-hamburg.de)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 08:11:53 PST

Ken wrote:

If I recall correctly (and I do !!!)....... someone on the list gave
unsubstantiated comments about these vehicles and Dennis Schneider (the
owner) was, quite rightly, most upset. Dennis wrote to the list to set the
record straight and he explained that these vehicles were original,
unrestored and unmodified.
+++
...it was me who made the "unsubstantiated" comments...and I quoted
Mr. Schneiders mail to me in reply to my comments to the list. My
"retraction" went only sofar as I, when quoting Schneiders mail, said I
MIGHT have had the wrong impression when I visited him years ago and
had a look at his vehicles.

It was indeed a awesome sight to see 100 original WWII Jeeps piled up !
I was only disappointed to note that they were in such a bad condition !

True is:
- they are original WWII
- they have many original items still on them
However, the ones I checked out
- were missing some nice to have original parts, like horn
and GPW "F" marked parts (a pile of these in shelves nearby !)
They are possibly the last big lot WWII Jeeps together and for sale,
BUT: the question remains if they are WORTH the money they are offered at !
You will receive a good, sound restoration project. And I would suggest the
following parts need to be renewed or added:
- all canvas parts
- all rubber parts
- all wiring
- all brake lines and parts, maybe even cylinders
- possibly all seals and bearings, cross bearings etc.
- tires, battery, many parts like horn, e-tools, lights
- some of the gauges had broken glass and faces were faded by sunlight.
work to be carried out:
- complete engine rebuilt
- gear boxes / diffs possibly to be rebuilt
- electrical components to be checked and most likely to be rebuilt
- Carburator to be rebuilt
- fuel pump to be rebuilt
- fuel tank and radiator checked...

it will be advisible to to a complete restoration including sandblasting etc.
usual welding and straigthening out of bent panels, dents etc...

Remember: the vehicles were not perfectly maintained during Greek Army service.
The Greeks had stored them for quite some time in the open prior to
auctioning them.
The were handled during shipping and were moved at least twice since
arrival in north Europe. They were piled on top of each other (tires on
fenders) before they were put in racks as they are now. The 15 years in dry
storage did not improve the vehicles.

Provided you do all this you will end up with a very nice and original
Jeep. I myself considered buying one years ago, but decided against it,
because a) I could not choose one myself and b) there were better deals
available elsewhere.

The bottom line is: they are original Jeeps, but they are far too expensive
for what they offer and for what one would have to invest in time, trouble
and money before one can proudly drive about in a halfway roadworthy
vehicle.

This is my impression. I saw them, I touched them, I surveyed them. It is
my opinion.
If others consider the price of 7,500 as fair, it is fine with me...

I got my Jeeps for less money, running and very original ...

Lars-Uwe Rudek
MVPA # 14836
MVT # 8119
T.E.A.M. # 2