GPW XFER CASE ASSEMBLY QUESTION

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 06:33:48 PST

Hi,

Ive gotten my trasfer case cleaned, sandblasted and pained. Looks as new.

Two questions:

1). I am assembling the transfer case drive and range shifter housing. Have
installed drive shaft and roller bearing shifter shaft seals (the little
ones), shaft and shifter fork. The drive shaft, if that is correct
nomenclature, and roller bearing were removed, and replaced, as a unit. They
were not dissassembled and therefore there is little chance that the bearing
is not installed fully onto the shaft. I have installed a replacement drive
shaft/drive yoke seal flush with the case. The problem is, it appears that
the raised lip onb the inside of the drive yoke contacts the seal itself
when I tighten the yoke nut down, causing much friction. Is there a special
tool required to insert the seal further into the recess (which will also
further compress the felt washer underneath the seal) so that there will be
no contact between the seal and drive yoke? Or is it simply that I need to
continue to tighten the drive yoke nut , allowing the flange on the drive
yoke to press the seal into place and then back the nut off a bit and use a
puller to relieve any pressure/contact between seal and yoke? My only
concern with this is that I will exert too much stress on the roller bearing
in an axis it wasn't designed for. I only ask because I have no desire to
try and locate another single seal because I have battered this one out of
shape.

2). I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I need to know if it is
necessary to use a press to install the tapered roller bearing races into
the main case. I only removed one so that I could remove the shaft to which
they were attached. I imagine that this is a touchy situation that will
require the race to be positioned carefully so as not to be in the case
cock-eyed (technical term) and not compress the bearings too much or leave
them too loose. What is the trick to this? Should I take my partially
assembled transfer case to a transmission rebuild shop and have them replace
it for me? Is there a way to do it without any specialized tools (I don't
have a press)?

I thank you all for any assistance you may provide.

BTW, I think that the movie "The Bridge at Remagen" is the movie that I saw
as a kid that made me lust for a WWII army jeep. Remember the scenes of them
racing along the roads at top speed? I seem to recall that the guy that was
in "King Rat" and is currently playing the boss on the stupid sitcom "Just
Shoot Me" that my wife watches (really) was sitting in the jeep as it sped
along.

Regards,

Bob K.