AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: John Brennan (brennan1968@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 16:51:02 PST

Hello, I recently acquired one of those Humvee's that were released in the
Atlanta Auction last August. It's in excellent condition and I had it
shipped up to CT a few weeks ago. My saga is the registration of the truck.
I did everything by the book with getting it registered. I had obtained
temporary plates for it, brought it through CT DMV inspection (which it
passed!), and then obtained a legal registration and received the plates for
it on March 8th. Yesterday, March 17th, I received a call from DMV saying
that they made a mistake and that they want the plate's back. It turns out
the AM General wrote CT DMV a letter on March 14th asking them not to
register the Humvee and to rescind any that they did. I have obtained a
copy of the AM General letter. The letter states that the HMMWV's are
military vehicles that were not meant for civilian use and that AM General
does not endorse or support the sales of the vehicles to the general public
or private entities. It goes on to say that they oppose the use of these
vehicles outside the military context for which they were designed and ends
requesting the state of Connecticut to decline all requests for these
vehicles.

My focus was to have a piece of American history. As we all know the
Humvee represents a piece of modern American history whereas it more than
proved itself during Desert Storm. I was lucky enough to have an
opportunity to obtain one. I view this vehicle as a collector's item. It
is no different then owning a Model-T, a Studebaker, a Willie's jeep, or any
other classic American vehicle that does not meet today's FMVSS standards.
Now if I want to present the vehicle in a local parade, I can't. If I want
to take it for a spin on a beautiful summer day, I can't. Yet if I drove
around in a 1931 Ford Model A with a rumble seat and without seatbelts or
even a 1945 Willies jeep no one would think twice about it. Logic is
obviously not being applied here. I do not intend to give up very easily.
This long-winded e-mail is for the purpose of notifying others of AM
Generals tactics and requesting advice to and to see what others have done
around the country with these Humvee's that were released. I look forward
to your feedback. Thanks.

John