AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: Robert D. Brooke (rdb18@csufresno.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 10:32:41 PST

It occurs to me, as I am sure it has to many of you, that any Military
Vehicle manufactured after 1970, will be subject to the same problem as
the HMMWV. I'm thinking that once the various DMV's get this in their
minds, and then their regulations, we won't be able to get any "non-
compliant" vehicles registered, foreign or domestic.

I think it may be time to start pushing for Federal Legislation which
would permit such registrations for event connected road use. Maybe a
special "exhibitor" plate, similar to a dealer plate, or a historic plate.
Something which would allow us to use the newer vehicles on the roads on
the way to a parade, to a show, to a four wheeling event, to a
maintenance facility, to a parts store, to a school to see if the
principal would like a static display some day for the children. Such a
registration might not be as good as a normal one, which would allow
everyday use, but better than what I'm reading about on this thread.

I know vehicle registrations are the purview of each state, but if we
could get the Fed law to encourage or permit states to adopt a model bill,
we would have a much easier time getting our state legislatures to enact
something, and when enacted, it would be uniform in all of the adopting
states.

Bob Brooke