Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: Glenn (dogstar918@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 22:45:40 PST

Hi
With regards to this little mess developing over the recent sales of mil HMMWV's to private parties, I received some info from a friend who is in the know as to what is happening. He does not want to be involved due to his employ with the Feds. but passed this on; These vehicles were sold clearly for off road use, and were never intended to be registered anywhere in the US. This was advertised as well. As they were sold they are considered unfit for public use in the highways by the DOD and DOT and NHTSA. They do not meet required safety standards for vehicles manufactured for public sale as of their date of manufacture. That is the key point. AMG does not want negative issues coming down on them due to accidents etc putting them somehow in a bad light liability wise. They claim this is the issue not fear of lost sales. Anyway they are sending a letter to every state asking them to find any and all HMMWV's and cancel their registration or accept liability issues themselves. They claim these vehicles should never have been allowed into private hands and are not suitable for such use. I was told that the states will be using lists of buyers, DMV records, VIN's etc to find any that are now registered and recall their plates, which they can legally do, since it is a licensed privelege to register a vehicle not a right. Anyone will be able to register these vehicles legally buy upgrading them to at least the standards for private vehicles that were in effect as of date of manufacture. AMG lists the upgrades as; Collapsable steering column, safety steering wheel padding, padded dash, transmission park function, DOY approved lighting, side impact protection, and bumpers to name what I can remember. All of these items are available through AMG dealers. The big difference with these trucks as opposed to out other mil trucks is their late date of manufacture. Most all of these standards came out in the 70's and the HMMWV's I guess will have to meet them since they are newer if we want to use them on the street. The Army is exempted from these requirements under National Defense laws. Stay tuned.
Glenn MVPA