Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: Glenn (dogstar918@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 11:54:44 PST

jonathon wrote:

> > As they were sold they are considered unfit for public use in the
> highways by the DOD and DOT and NHTSA. They do not meet required safety
> standards for vehicles manufactured for public sale as of their date of
> manufacture.
>
> NHTSA is under DOT but tell me please.... what authority do they have to
> tell me what I can or cannot drive?

I dont know Jonathan. It seems the Feds can do whatever they want until someone fights them.

> Uhhhhhh and the civy ones are really any different?

Yes. They are from the safety standards point of view of the Federal rulemakers. And thats what counts.

> Are we not mixing apples and oranges here? What does registration (a tax)
> have to do with vehicle safety liablity?

Not mixing anything. No safety approval, no registration to drive it according to the government. If we dont like it we can fight it. Simple.

> > They claim these vehicles should never have been allowed into private
> hands and are not suitable for such use.
>
> More crap. They sell a civy version made in the same plant,

Yes but then it has their safety garbage added. Pay attention. That is what they are crying about.

> >. Anyone will be able to register these vehicles legally buy upgrading
> them to at least the standards for private vehicles that were in effect as
> of date of manufacture.

> Well now you've changed the story completely. So AMG will be happy if you
> do A, B & C? So you do A, B, &C then get your silly plates, then put it
> back the way it was. Sounds like a plan to me.
>
> Nothing changed. Thats what the government wants you to do.
>
> Sorry to rag so much, don't mean it personally, I just can't stand the
> attitude that I see in some of what you said,

Oh well why not shoot the messenger. I just repeated exactly what the facts are ACCORDING TO THE GOVT. I dont like what they are doing either.

Regards; Glenn M1043, MVPA