HMMWV Registrations

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 18:14:00 PST

With apologies to the esteemed listers in Madagascar and other far-away
lands who have no interest in this topic.....

>I was thinking about buying one of these vehicles too. Glad I didn't now.
I visited the auction web site, called the >auction, I even talked to a
couple of dealers, but in the end I decided that since these vehicles were
being >advertised as off road use only, absolutely not for on road use and
they could not be registered, I declined.

I bought mine from the auction house in Riverside, CA for a fixed price in
January. No disclosure of any kind was made to me. All the DMV paperwork was
taken care of at the auction house. There was no such advertisement.

>.....they were sold strictly as off road vehicles and the government made
it very, very clear.. off road use only.

I'm sorry, where did you get that information from? That wasn't on my Form
97....or any other document related to the purchase of the vehicle.

>The resale dealers who bid on them were under no illusions. They knew that
if they tried to registered these >vehicles they were doing so under false
pretenses and against existing law.....Seemed kind of dishonest to me and I
>chose not to get involved.

So either my dealer was dishonest, I'm attempting to knowingly register a
vehicle illegally, or I'm just a dumb***!

>I didn't see the paper work because I was not a dealer.....

But now you're the expert!

>Better get your money back because you are going to be spending a lot of
money fighting this and the outcome >probably won't be in you favor. Not
only that, but you won't be the only guy after the dealer. While you are
>fighting DMV other buyers are getting their money back from the dealer.
Better get your cash back before the line >starts, while he still has some
assets left.

So let me get this straight, I go to my dealer and tell him that Jack said
that he illegally sold me a HMMWV, and that I want my money back. Then my
dealer will go back to the auction house and get them to refund my money.
Then the California DMV will refund my registration fee/tax, and the State
will refund the sales tax!

Truly absurd!!!!!

Did you build a bunker for the coming of Y2K???? :-)