Re: [MV] HMMWV Registrations and guns

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 01:32:36 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baxter <alleywayguns@bacavalley.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>; Richard Notton
<Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Date: 20 March 2000 04:23
Subject: Re: [MV] HMMWV Registrations and guns

Mr. Baxter,

> MR.. Notton I enjoy your renditions on Military Vehicle ownership in both
>of our countries, But it seems to me, that every chance you get, you knock
>US gun owners, and IM frankly getting tired of it. I can own BOTH Military
>Vehicles and a Gun in my country!!

A pat and a slap, thanks awfully.

It is encouraging that one US person at least took time out to respond and far
from criticising the wholesale US gun ownership scenario, which would have me
permanently fixed to the keyboard, it does serve illustrate a peculiar and
diametrically opposed regime in respect of private MV ownership and operation in
public places. The continual rumblings we aliens read about MV licensing
problems, culminating with the present sorry state of HMMWV registration, you
cannot fail to miss surely; the original prompt was a little effort to perhaps
encourage a detached view of the sad débacle and inconsistency of policy.
Consider, for a moment, the various and differing state by state contributions
on the issue, would not a detached view here lead to outside wonderment about
the correct usage of "United" even ?

> Who helped you Brit's early in WW2 when the Nazi's were about to invade? WE
>American gun owners did when YOUR Government asked all American Gun Owners
>to please send over any extra guns that we could donate, to help you Brit's
>defend your island from being invaded by the Germans!!

I see no relevance here to the in-country registration of HMMWV's, jeeps et al.

> Your government was so grateful that they more then likely destroyed them
>after the war.

Not to forget it wasn't free and still being paid for of course.

>The United States has never been invaded and as long as there
>are more then 8 million gun owners here, I don't think any country will try
>to invade. I know this is true as to why the states have never been invaded,
>an armed deterrent

Also irrelevant, but a glance at the atlas shows us the US to be in the middle
of nowhere except ocean but it has actually been, very successfully, invaded and
colonised. . . . . . . . . .

> IM a Citizen of the United States with all the freedoms that come with it.

Which apparently allows you to take your gun for a walk down the street but not
an expensively constructed to mil spec HMMWV, pardon me for being so thick but
it does seem singularly odd.

>IM NOT a subject of the Crown were I have to bow down to the Queen or the
>bonny Prince.

Quite so, you would perhaps be surprised how much moderation the monarch applies
to legislation before Royal Assent (signs on the line), incidentally we need
only go down on ONE knee before our leader. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Best wishes,

Richard.