Re: [MV] 6.2 Diesel

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 19:34:31 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: MadSkier1@aol.com <MadSkier1@aol.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6.2 Diesel

>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>if anyone is interested in finding more info out, check out the 6.2/6.5
>diesel page. There is a lot about these engines and also some info on the
>new Duromax 6600 that is replacing the 6.5. As far as I know, the 6.2 was
>DD design but manufactured and modified by GM. Also, the 6.5 will still be
>made and come in the Hummers.

Rob,
        Ya missed one interesting point re:6.5 engines. GM sold the tools
and dies and the right to manufacture to AM General the 6.5 engine so AM
Generak could continue a uniterrupted supply of 6.5 (nonturbo that is
noramlly aspirated) diesel engines for the Hummer and the HMMWV. This was
due to GM's decision to shut down production of the 6.5 turbocharged engine
they were building for internal needs and from the same prodution line were
supplying AMG with nonturbo versions of the 6.5. As I recall AMG built a new
plant from scratch to build the AMG manufactured 6.5 and will be providing
GM with new 6.5's as GM oreders them. The 6.5 also allows AMG to offer a
higher horsepower than the 150 the 6.2 put out.

Lemme C naw.........TO VEE OR NOT TO VEE???

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM