Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: Kirwin the Insane (kb0yev@midusa.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 19:59:25 PST

John Brennan wrote:

> It turns out
> the AM General wrote CT DMV a letter on March 14th asking them not to
> register the Humvee and to rescind any that they did. I have obtained a
> copy of the AM General letter. The letter states that the HMMWV's are
> military vehicles that were not meant for civilian use and that AM General
> does not endorse or support the sales of the vehicles to the general public
> or private entities. It goes on to say that they oppose the use of these
> vehicles outside the military context for which they were designed and ends
> requesting the state of Connecticut to decline all requests for these
> vehicles.

    It's not to surprising that AM General would oppose the civilian use of the
HMMWV. Especially when you consider that they sell an civilian version to the
public. You combine their civilian sales with today's lawsuit happy US, and they
have two very compelling reasons to oppose the civilian use of the military HMMWV.

Later
Michael Clark