Re: [MV] M151 - Motor vehicles - don't try to change serial numbers!

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:29:44 PST

If your vehicle is registered with the wrong serial number or wrong year,
model etc. (a common problem with jeeps etc.) I always suggest strongly to
people - "Leave the $#^@%#$ thing alone! If you try to straighten it out,
all you will do is attract unwanted attention to you and the hobby.

For example a fellow was restoring a Porsche. He took the aluminum data
plate off the frame as he was Ready-Srtipping it and that would have
disolved the data plate. The firm alerted the police - you know, Porsche
frame with no serial number! Anyway he got raked over the coals. The swore
he was NEVER to remove the data plate from the frame etc. etc. By the way,
DON'T tell them that the military data plates are easily switched, removed
etc.

When I was registering my 43 GPW I used to have, the lady asked ME to read
the SN off to her, which I did. No problem... That was also the only time I
won an argument with them. I was moving from Comox (air force base town) to
Cumberland. Courtenay where the motor vehicles office was was in the middle
so I got one permit - from Comox to Cumberland. I stopped at the motor
vehicles office ENROUTE as I had to pass it anyway! They tried to force me
to buy another permit to move it the last part of the trip, and I said no, I
already had it!!! That &#%@$ them off!

So, if your jeep is registered under the USA or CFR number, or as a 52
instead of a 42, or by a part number rather than the VIN, it is safer just
to leave it. If you don't believe me, look at old cartoons of herbie and
Willie and Joe. Those soldiers knew it was stupid to 'draw fire'.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB