Re: [MV] M35 back-up lights

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 14:14:34 PST

"Todd Logan" <bugdaddy66@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is any provision for a switch on the tranny? The
> DOT says it should be hooked up this way, not a switch on the dash. Thanks;

There's a shaft poking out the back of the tranny top cover which
pokes out a couple inches in reverse, pulls in all the way in first,
and pokes out just a little bit in other gears. It should be possible
to use it to activate some sort of switch in reverse gear. It's really
dirty down there, because grease thrown off the U joints makes mud
stick all over the place, so it might be a bit of a challenge to find
and mount a switch which will work reliably. I'd recommend mounting
the switch onto the transmission housing somehow, possibly using the
bolts which hold the cover on. I would not recommend mounting a switch
elsewhere, such as the cab floor, because I figure the transmission
will move around under load. Maybe some sort of sealed magnetic switch
(activated by a magnet attached to the shaft) would be a good idea, so
the switch would have no external moving parts to get crudded up.

I considered adding backup lights to my 2.5-ton shop van this way, but
haven't found the gumption to figure out how to fashion an appropriate
bracket yet. If there is a commercially-made switch for adding a
backup light to that transmission (for example, for civilian vehicles
which used it, if there were any), I'd like to know about it. Please
let us know how you solve the problem!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/