Re: [MV] Best MBT of it's time

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 07:23:20 PST

In a message dated 3/27/00 12:23:44 AM Pacific Standard Time, CVRFOX@aol.com
writes:

<< Again, Jack, how's the lack of an autoloader a negative? Is it an
oversight
 the M-1 series, Leopard 2, Challenger II do not use autoloaders?

 Additionally, you will find the Merkava III has an equivalent gun and
 power/weight ratio to the above mounts. >>

We're moving past our area again 53-73... obviously Merkava III's are a
modern MBT's! Well, ok, for arguments sake I'll go along, but you may be
surprised to note this gun was a British design too, produced under license
in Israel. The 105 mm was the standard gun on early Merks. (Interesting to
note the T-54 had a very potent 122 mm )

As to the manual loader. I am told it works best when fired from a prepared
position, which has been the tactic of the Israelis, so for them it's
probably not an issue. I can only imagine the drawbacks of a manual loader
in a 24 hour skirmish leading into days. I suppose this is why they kept a 4
man crew on Merkavas, to spread out the work load.

Having no personal experience with either system, I can only speculate as to
the autoloader advantages... maybe there are none, but it doesn't seem
logical.

Anyone here have an expert opinion?

Jack