Re: [MV] M8, M20, M ?????

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 08:12:44 PST

stephen l dussetschleger wrote:

> Ok, it doesn't have an easy to find data plate. Looks like the
> armoured cars of the WWII era. No motor. Big distinguishing feature
> is.........no turret. Instead has a 3 legged support with a ring mount
> for looks like a .50 cal & trolley on it. So, any guesses ? & what
> kinda motor should it have ? 6 or 8 ? Last military use was by the
> ....believe it or not. U.S. Air Force. Steve

What you describe sounds like the M20 Utility Car. It was made on the
chassis of the M8 Armored car and was used for a variety of duties
including security duties. It had a 50 cal on the ring and troop seats in
the interior. General Patton used an M20 as an armored command
car...complete with huge bugle-like horns mounted on the front! There is a
web site dedicated to the vehicle

http://home1.gte.net/tankdriv/index.html

There were about 3200 of the M20's made and about 8,000 M8's (though I have
seen 11,000 quoted in one source). Although fewer M20's were built there
seem to be more in the US than M8's. The speculation is that the M8's
were kept overseas by foreign militaries while the M20's were more useful
to our military in security roles.

There are some materials available about the vehicles from Portrayal Press.
These materials include the Ordinance Supply Catalog ORD 9 SNL 136 List of
All Service Parts. The relevant Technical Manuals are:
a) TM 9-743 Light Armored Car M8 and Armored Utility Car M20
b) TM 9-743.21 Changes to Technical Manual Light Armored Car M8 and
Armored Utility Car M20
c) TM 9-1743 Power Train, Suspension, Hull, and Turret for Light Armored
Car M8 and Armored Utility Car M20
d) TM 9-1832A Hercules Engines
e) TM 11-2702 Installation of Radio and Interphone Equipment in Light
Armored Car
Portrayal also had 3 booklets with some additional material: a) US Armored
Cars in Action; b) Illustrated Tank and AFV Buyer's Guide; and c) American
Tanks of World War II.
        Issue #24 of Military Vehicles has an article on the M20 and Army
Motors Issue #78 had an outstanding article by Jamie Neal on restoring the
M20.

Hope this helps,
dean

       * Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD *
       * Department of Medicine *
       * The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio *
       * 7703 Floyd Curl Drive *
       * San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900 *
       * (210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu *