Re: [MV] Travel sites

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 15:14:24 PST

Alan wrote:
>My wife and I will be in the Czech Republic and parts of Austria and
>Germany this summer. We'll be gone about 3 weeks and I would like to see
>some military sites of interest. Any help will be appreciated. Would any
>of you fellows across the pond in Europe know of any good places to shop
>for surplus items in these areas. We will be in or near Prague. Salzburg,
>Vienna.

    I was in Prague several years ago with a friend who lives there. There
is a very good museum just outside the city that has lots of MVs and
aircraft. Admission was 80 cents. Sorry, I don't have the name of it handy
but it shouldn't be hard to find. Also, my friend raved about a used car
lot located right in the city and told me I must see it. Well, I didn't
want to waste precious time that could be used drinking that wonderful
Czech beer in the local restaurants but I didn't want to offend my friend
either. So, I went with him over to the used car lot and as we drove up I
could see the usual beat up Wartburgs, Skoda's and Trabants. Then we went
around the corner and parked........right in front of a T-34/85 tank !!! I
looked around and there were rows of Czech 6x6's and next to them were some
T-60, BRDM, BTR- 152, OT-64, BTR-40, PT-76, a gaggle of CZ, MZ, and Jawa
motorcycles, several field kitchens, GAZ- 69 & UAZ "jeeps" and many other
MV's. Oh, I should add, three MIG 17 jets also! Most everything was for
sale. The 6x6's were about $600.00 US. The owner was not there so I
couldn't get a price on the armor. If you're in Prague, Czech this place
out. There are several good gun shops in town also and the stuff is really
inexpensive.
      Be sure to take your wife to some of the resturants for some
authentic Czech food. The prices will astound you. (three course dinner
with two big "boombas" of beer cost me $ 2.80 US.)
     There are several good shops to pick up WW II militaria there
but....buyer beware, excellent fake Nazi stuff abounds.

            Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
                Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
                Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA