Re: [MV] M35 Engine Changes

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:06:13 PST

In a message dated 3/28/00 11:19:37 PM, miltrkr@concentric.net writes:

>1300+ horse power out of 6V-53's sounds like a
>screamer to me

Now that's a "fish story" if I've ever heard one! 318 cubic inch
displacement and 1300 horsepower, from a Diesel, no fookin' way. You'd have
to pressurize that little thing WAY beyond the boost levels of an Indy car.
Sequential turbocharging (multiple turbocharger stages) is WAY beyond the
capabilities of someone who worked on gun boat engines, let alone the
required intercooling and aftercooling stages between turbochargers and
before the engine itself. Most MODERN marine racing Diesels (highly boosted
through turbocharging and aftercooling) can make more than ONE hp per cubic
inch but no where near the FOUR you claim.

Even if you turned the little thing 3500 rpm, which is screaming for most
Diesels, you would have to make some 1950 lb. ft. of torque to achieve 1300
horsepower. Now, if you turned it 12,000 RPM (never with a 6V-53) you would
still need to extract 569 lb.ft. of torque to make that same 1300 horsepower.

I'm NOT suggesting you are lying or exaggerating in any way, I am saying you
are/were being lied to.

Personally, I agree with you that if you have a LDT465-1D you probably should
stick with it. The rest of the powertrain was designed for it's rpm,
horsepower and torque levels and anything else might require a replacement of
the other components. With a more powerful civilian unit you'd have to keep
your foot out of it to avoid breaking everything.