Re: [MV] M35 Engine Changes

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@svjava.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 09:23:42 PST

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 03:06:13AM -0500, AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/00 11:19:37 PM, miltrkr@concentric.net writes:
>
> >1300+ horse power out of 6V-53's sounds like a
> >screamer to me
>
> Now that's a "fish story" if I've ever heard one! 318 cubic inch
> displacement and 1300 horsepower, from a Diesel, no fookin' way. You'd have
> to pressurize that little thing WAY beyond the boost levels of an Indy car.
> Sequential turbocharging (multiple turbocharger stages) is WAY beyond the
> capabilities of someone who worked on gun boat engines, let alone the
> required intercooling and aftercooling stages between turbochargers and
> before the engine itself. Most MODERN marine racing Diesels (highly boosted
> through turbocharging and aftercooling) can make more than ONE hp per cubic
> inch but no where near the FOUR you claim.

The highest that DDA ever rated a 6V53 was 425hp. That was for a twin turbo,
intercooled motor. I'll agree -- 1300hp isn't possible out of a 6V53.

BTW, I'm _very_ familiar w/ the marine version of the 6V53, having rebuilt
one recently (You can't take them over 3000 RPM very successfully) and having
put many hours on a boat with two 6V53s.

> Even if you turned the little thing 3500 rpm, which is screaming for most
> Diesels, you would have to make some 1950 lb. ft. of torque to achieve 1300
> horsepower. Now, if you turned it 12,000 RPM (never with a 6V-53) you would
> still need to extract 569 lb.ft. of torque to make that same 1300 horsepower.

Trust me, you cannot get 3500 RPM out of a 6V53, at least not for more than a
few seconds. The above said engine that I rebuilt, needed a rebuild because
the overspeed govenor was set incorrectly (not by me), the screw came out of
the water in heavy surf and the engine over speeded. This caused one of the
injector cam rollers to self destruct, whereby the cam picked up the broken
roller and punched it through the cam gallery into the water jacket. Small
pieces of cam roller also made it into the timing gear train, breaking teeth
off of every timing gear. Pieces also made it into the oil pump, wrecking
that, too. It must have been pretty exciting when all that happened.

--
Eric Kozowski
Portland, OR