Re: [MV] 5 Ton Wrecker Towing Capacity Question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 04:35:38 PST

I could be wrong (but don't think I am) that the upper works for all five ton
wreckers (other than the M62) is basically the same. That being said the
following data apply to the M816 series:
the PAYOAD ON CRANE is:
12,000 lb with boom shipper braced and secured on highway
7,000 lb with shipper braced and secured cross country
the towed load allowance (pintle) is:
20,000 pounds highway
15,000 pounds cross country

All above info from TM 9-2320-260-10.

This being said, I've towed a deuce firetruck behind deuce cargo truck for 70
or so miles. Fire truck weighed 14-16000 lbs at the time. Didn't have any
real problems, just go carefully. Would hesitate to pull the 20,000 rated
behind my M62 wrecker (as long as some one else was buying the GAS!), so
doubt the later diesel you refer to would have any trouble at all with the
track.

Hope this helps,
David