MV security: Brake pedal lock?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 15:15:54 PDT

I'm trying to figure out how to secure my MVs from theft as well as
possible without making major irreversible modifications to them. The
cable lock on my HMMWV or the chain lock on my deuce are of little
use, since they are so easy to cut with bolt cutters. I've considered
various methods of killing the electrical system, preferably without
cutting into the existing waring harness. That would be better than a
simple padlock, but would still be easy to defeat by anybody who
understood the vehicle. There's not much to an MV's electrical system,
anyway... Other than starting the vehicle, a HMMWV just needs power to
actuate the fuel cutoff solenoid, and a deuce just needs to run one
pump. I don't think steering wheel bar locks are any good, because
steering wheels aren't very sturdy.

Does anybody have any experience with this product that I saw on TV?

    http://www.lawmancorp.com/index.html

It locks the brake pedal so that it can't be depressed. It basically
presses the pedal upwards from the floor, rather than pulling it
towards the (weak) steering wheel like some other brake pedal locks
I've seen. Now, the mere fact that it was advertised on an infomercial
almost nullifies its credibility in my opinion... but the basic idea
sounds reasonable to me, as long as it's well-made. I'd welcome any
opinions about it from folks with first-hand experience. Especially
folks who know the magic arts of picking or drilling locks... :-)

I understand that there's nothing I could to to keep bad folks from
walking away with any parts that aren't bolted down (other than hiding
in the back with my favorite .45 -- oops, I haven't moved to Arizona
yet, never mind), and my MVs will never live up to the minimal
security level of my civvy car, but I'd like to at least be able to
park one outside a restaurant in a reasonably nice part of town, and
have some level of confidence that there would be enough major pieces
left to drive home an hour later. :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/