Re: [MV] MV security: Brake pedal lock?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 17:21:16 PDT

Various folks mentioned:
> Sears is now advertising a battery with a remote control.

I use original mil batteries in my MVs, but I've considered various
radio-controlled approaches, since I'm an electrical engineer anyway
(don't ask for details... any such approach gets most of its "security"
from obscurity, so I consider any such plans "secret"). I'd still
rather find a way to do it that can't be trivially bypassed by anybody
familiar with MVs and their very simple wiring systems ("hmm, doesn't
start, let's try shorting wire xx to wire yy").

I've looked into simple expedients like battery disconnect, but so
far, all of the ones I've found have been cheap pieces of junk. The
Hella Australia page shows a heavy-duty disconnect switch (model 4653)
which looks promising, but I don't know where to get one in the US:

    http://www.hella.com.au/catalogue/a_z_pdf/s_pdf/batt_switch.pdf

If the Sears battery isn't too expensive, its electronic guts might
still be one source of a radio control deck for roll-your-own
projects. If anybody tries one of these, I'd appreciate hearing any
details that you don't mind sharing.

Anything I can do can be bypassed, but maybe using multiple disabling
methods (with preference for ones which don't require any permanent
vehicle mods) will make it difficult enough to figure out to deter
most thieves. The nice thing about radio controlled devices is that
you don't give away the location of the device to anybody who watches
you activate it (like a battery disconnect or kill switch). A battery
disconnect switch would still be handy for disconnecting the battery
while servicing the vehicle, without messing with battery clamps and
having a loose cable floating around in the battery compartment.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/